Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cute Crafts: Bugs


Simple ladybug craft. We cut ovals out of red and black paper, making a slit in the red paper before gluing them together. Bobo used a Q-tip to make black dots on her back. He made a circle head and glued "spiky" eyeballs on her. He painted a toilet paper roll black and I cut strips for him to glue as legs.


Ladybugs are my favorite bugs, but I've only found a couple books I really enjoy. Lara Ladybug by Christine Florie is about a ladybug who's lost her spots. The Very Lazy Ladybug by Isobel Finn has a fun surprise ending. Beetle Bop by Denise Fleming has lots of different beetles with her classic large illustrations. If you have any suggestions for ladybug books, please leave me a comment.




Bobo also made a simple butterfly craft for our Spring Theme. He's really into the "spiky" balls as he calls the glittery poms. He made a spiky caterpillar. Then, he filled a sandwich bag with Easter grass from our sensory bin to make wings. She looks so pretty in the window.


We read Velma Gratch & The Way Cool Butterfly by Alan Madison after our craft. Velma is a kindergartner who has trouble making herself distinct from her two older sisters. She struggles to find something that makes her special and resorts to negative attention. Bobo fell asleep before the end, which is sweet and worth staying awake for, so don't miss out.


Tuesday Tots

Shibley Smiles


3 comments:

  1. I love your craft! The butterfly has such pretty wings.

    I am going to look for the books you mentioned!

    Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Read.Explore.Learn. Thanks for having me!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for linking up to Discover and Explore. I love the use of Easter grass for the butterfly wings. We also read Velma Gratch...cute story! Hope you'll come back and link up next week for our Earth Day theme.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!