Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Imaginative Play: A Lesson in First Aid


Bobo loves to dress up, mostly as superheroes. When we visited Ivy Tech last year for their annual Punkin' Chunkin', he showed no interest in the medical room. I still snagged some freebies and put them with his dress up play. After he found these items and put them on, he asked for the "bump, bump thang." Daddy had to translate, "stethoscope."


Then, we brought out the First Aid Kit and had a lesson about injuries, big and small.


The first steps for an emergency are Check, Call and Care. If the injury is small, you can skip the call to 9-1-1.


The inside shows what to do for big to small cuts or lacerations. A head injury is on the very right.


A few days ago, Bobo had a small injury on his arm. We talked about how I took care of it, which just happened to follow the steps in the kit. 

Bobo had the most fun listening to our hearts. He tried to listen to Buzz's heart, but came to the conclusion toys don't have a heartbeat.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun way to teach the basics of first aid. Also, a fantastic discovery that Bobo made- toys don't have a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great activity! I love when you can add a little educational conversation into any play activity that you're doing! :) Oh, and the next Virtual Book Club will be towards the end of June. Not sure of the exact date yet, but I do know it will be an author study of Mo Willems- any book you like. :) I'll let you know the date when I find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, G. I LOVE Mo Willems books, so I'll definitely join.

      Delete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!