Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What My Child Is Reading


Matilda lives in a beautiful neighborhood, but it doesn't have any children her age. Suddenly, pirates move in! Just think about what the neighbors will say... If Bobo was their neighbor, he would say, "Aye, matey!" because that is what pirates say. I just love this story. It is great to share one on one, but it would be difficult to share with a group. The illustrations and dialogue make for great improvisation with different voices.


The little boy loves trains and as soon as his baby brother can talk, he'll say he loves trains too. The bold illustrations and large text make this a wonderful read aloud. The little boy takes you on an imaginary train ride where he is the conductor. I only wish Zimmerman would have used "Conductor", instead of "Train Man."


As soon as I read this, I knew Bobo would love it. If your children like the Pigeon books by Mo Willems or The Monster at the End of this Book, they will probably like Z is for Moose. Moose is so impatient for his turn, he sneaks onto other letter's pages. This book is very interactive and funny. If you have children who recognize letters and know Moose is wrong, it will be even funnier.


Fish Had a Wish by Michael Garland is the best of both worlds. It is an Easy Reader book from the I Like To Read series, and it has large illustrations like a Picture Book. Bobo's favorite wish is "I wish I were a skunk. I could make a big stink!" 

3 comments:

  1. These look like great books, I'll have to see if I can hunt them down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the last book - illustrations are gorgeous. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, beautiful illustrations. They remind me if Eric Carle, very vibrant.

      Delete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!